I recently reduced my wardrobe significantly – I moved from Dubai to Mexico with just a handful of suitcases which really forced me to evaluate my approach to buying things. One of my goals for 2020 is to start building a capsule wardrobe which will reduce even further the number of items of clothing I have. The goal is to buy fewer but more functional things. To spend more per item and to get more wear out of each piece.
The goal is not to increase my clothing budget but simply spend it more wisely and avoid impulse purchases. Think a well thought out capsule wardrobe which yields a countless number of outfit options and lasts for years!
With that thought in mind, I have compiled a list of items I wish to purchase in the coming year and compiled a list of wonderful options from the Net-A-Porter sale.
To me, that’s a wardrobe staple I have not been able to wear a lot while living in the Middle East (leather trousers in 50 degree heat are not a good idea, trust me). I had a good old Zara pair for about 5 years and got decent wear out of them but, as they were faux leather, the top layer started peeling off which meant I had to chuck them away.
I love leather trousers with anything – white shirt, chunky knits, tight bodysuits. I recommend dark colours as they are more of a staple (and I always think a wrong tone of brown or beige makes it look like you’re not wearing any trousers).
- These Theory trousers are at the top of my wish list – the shape is super classic – click here
- Nanushka does excellent vegan leather
- These Rag & Bone trousers are a classic bootcut which does not really go out of style and is super flattering
- Alexander Wang never disappoints with its young & edgy but classic designs – I am a big fan of these faux leather trousers
This is again such a versatile and classic piece – it can be worn all the way through the year and I cannot wait to add it to my wardrobe.
- I love this beautiful Joseph blazer – it’s such a classic colour & shape
- This linen Michael Kors has enough shape and weight to also be worn in winter
- This Isabel Marant jacket is probably my favorite of the bunch – I love the cut!
Oh so many options here – you might like a classic cut, embellished sleeves, funky collars. There is no right or wrong style when it comes to a white shirt.
- I love the relaxed shape on this Opening Ceremony shirt
- This linen shirt is stunning L.F.Markey!
- Is it obvious yet that I have a soft spot for Joseph?
- The sleeves are amazing on this Khaite
- This is so versatile – Matthew Adams Dolan
- Equipment shirt a little different but still classic!
What do you think of my pics – would you buy/wear any of these? Do you go for a capsule wardrobe or do you like the excitement of wearing new pieces more often?